The Oregon Road Runners Club has a supportive community of walkers as well race walking events available to help support your training goals. Check out the club training page where we have some group training events each week and considering joining the community.
2015 Walking Events with Oregon Road Runners Club
Events with Separate Awards for Walkers
Walkers Welcome (No separate awards)
ORRC Walker of the Year Award
The ORRC “Walker of the Year” award is based earned points:
- 1st Place – 10 points
- 2nd Place – 9 points
- 3rd Place – 8 points
- 4th Place – 7 points
- 5th Place – 6 points
Sign Up for the ORRC 5K Series
Each race in the 5K series is for runners or walkers. Sign up to earn prizes and meet other walkers!
- Use the crosswalk.
- Look left, right, and left again before crossing street.
- Establish eye contact with drivers.
- Watch for turning vehicles.
- Wear brightly colored clothing and reflective clothing at night.
- Walk against traffic on roads with no sidewalks.
- Wear comfortable shoes that give support and that will not irritate your feet.
Walk for Health and Fitness!
- Walking can decrease your risk of many health problems:
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Injuries and falls
Walking as part of your daily routine helps you to:
- Increase efficiency of heart and lungs
- Lower blood cholesterol
- Control weight
- Reduce stress and enhance the quality of your sleep
- Improve your mood
- Tone muscles